Recent State Archives Acquisitions: October 2013
Government records added this month to the State Archives collection will be valuable for a variety of types of research (business, family, community) at the state government level, and the local government level.
Received from the Commerce Department/Insurance Division are annual financial statements for domestic insurance companies (dated 2003-2007) and township mutual companies (dated 1998-2007). The records continue a master set (dating from 1878) preserved in the State Archives collection, and complement the business records preserved in the Manuscripts collection. Transferred from the Library Collection are McLeod County annual financial statements (dated 1939-1992) that enhance an existing set in the State Archives.
The Criminal Apprehension Bureau of the Public Safety Department transferred fingerprint cards, dated circa 1930s-1990s. There are over 400 inactive fingerprint cards removed from Bureau’s master set of fingerprint cards. The information includes criminal’s name, date and/or age, the originating agency (law enforcement agency/correctional facility) the card was received from, and the date the fingerprint card was received by the Bureau. Mug shots are attached to many of the fingerprint cards. The records will be useful for family history research, and have artifactual value for exhibit purposes.
An individual donated Longfellow Elementary School (St. Paul Public Schools) records, including a family handbook (dated 2001/2002), and printed programs concerning the school building dedication (1976), graduation and recognition ceremonies, anniversary celebrations, and the school’s closing ceremony (2010). The Longfellow School was established in 1883 as a two room school, and for many years was a humanities magnet, before it closed in 2010. The records are a welcome addition to an existing set of Longfellow School records preserved in the State Archives; St. Paul public schools are very well documented in the State Archives. School records are often used for community history and family history research.
With the assistance of the Manuscripts collection staff, subject files (dated 1969-2005) of State Planning Agency former director Gerald Christensen were donated to the State Archives collections. The records concern such as topics of education, school finance aid, and relations with the governor’s office. The files were donated by Lori Sturdevant, and enhance an existing set of records of Mr. Christensen preserved in the State Archives.
1. Commerce Department/Insurance Division. Annual financial statements for domestic insurance companies (dated 2003-2007) and township mutual companies (dated 1998-2007). 32 boxes.
2. McLeod County. Financial statements, dated 1939-1992 (incomplete). 3 volumes, 1 folder.
3. Public Safety Department. Criminal Apprehension Bureau. Fingerprint cards, dated circa 1930s-1990s. 7 folders.
4. Ramsey County. St. Paul Public Schools. Longfellow Elementary School records (dated 1976-2010), including a family handbook (dated 2001/2002), and printed programs concerning the school building dedication (dated 1976), graduation and recognition ceremonies, anniversary celebrations, and the school’s closing ceremony (dated 2010). 2 folders.
5. State Planning Agency. Director’s Office. Subject files (dated 1969-2005) of former director Gerald Christensen. 9 folders.
Back to Recent Acquisitions.
November 18, 2013