The Minnesota farmer (Minneapolis, Minn.) 1877-1896 Browse the title
The Minnesota Farmer was a trade journal published in Minneapolis, Minnesota from September 1877 to 1896. During the late 1800s Minnesota was a world leader in farming and for fifty years Minneapolis led the world in flour production. Corporate and political interests of the Midwest agricultural industry were also centered in the Twin Cities. The Minnesota Farmer was published in the midst of Minnesota’s agricultural boom. It was printed monthly until September 8, 1882, when it became a weekly paper. However, it switched back to a monthly in the 1890s. Although the paper was tailored to the farmers of Minnesota, it covered farming and the stock trade news from around the United States. Localities mentioned in articles were predominantly in the Midwest. Circulation of the paper was small, numbering 2,500 subscribers in 1878.
The physical attributes of the paper changed over time. The Minnesota Farmer began with three columns and switched to six on September 10, 1880. Then on May 2, 1884, the paper changed to four columns. With each of these column changes the masthead of the paper became more elaborate, illustrating the work of farmers and stockmen. The length of the paper varied greatly throughout its run. Some issues were as short as eight pages, while others were as long as thirty. Beginning in June of 1885, the title "Minnesota Farmer and Stockman" appeared in the publishing block, and at the top of certain sections of the paper.
The Minnesota Farmer was published by A.C. Newton. Beginning in June of 1880 the Minnesota Farmer Printing Company, located at 243 Hennepin Ave. in Minneapolis, was given editing and publishing credit. The lead editor from 1878 to 1887 was Henry E. Newton. He also held the positions of secretary, treasurer, and manager. In 1887, W.A. Newton, a noted broker and owner of a commercial paper business became president of the company. By 1889, Henry E. Newton was no longer editor. For a time the paper had three associate editors, which were then reduced to one. A traveling correspondent was also employed by the paper.
The paper’s slogan stated that it was, "Devoted to our Farms and Factories." Subsequent slogans were: "Devoted to the interests of our Farms and Stock," and "Devoted to the Great Wheat and Stock Growing Interests of the Northwest." As the title suggests, the content of the Minnesota Farmer focused on the farming industry of Minnesota, not only crops, but livestock as well. Articles provided news of the industry in Minnesota and beyond. Much of the paper was made up of advice, and anecdotes related to farming. The paper frequently profiled a particular breed of farm animal. At times, prize animals were featured. Advertisements were usually for farm implements and machinery, as well as breeders of livestock. The Minnesota Farmer existed until 1896.