The inter-county press (St. Charles, Minn.) 1922-1938 Browse the title
On February 10, 1922 the Winona County Union-Free Press changed its name to the Inter-County Press. Under the title on the banner it stated, "Formerly the Winona County Union-Free Press: Combining the St. Charles Union, The Lewiston Free Press, and the Eyota Times". Eyota is located in eastern Olmsted County, across the border of Winona County from where St. Charles is located. The first issue was eight pages and six columns.
On the sixth page of the first issue of the Inter-County Press there was a separate banner for the Eyota Times. The first column had a description of what the publishers were trying to accomplish with this new newspaper:
The new Inter-County Press will publish each week at least one and possibly two pages of Eyota news and advertising. These pages taken together with the front page and the editorial page will give Eyotans a four page paper of their own, with more reading material than they possibly could get in a local paper. Harwell E. West, connected with the Inter-County Press as field manager, will make his headquarters in Eyota and assist in the gathering of local news and stories, and also take care of the subscription and advertising business of the paper...
There were also separate pages in that issue for the news from St. Charles, from Lewiston (labeled the Lewiston Free Press), and from other small towns (Elmira, Bethany, Little Valley, Saratoga, and Fremont). The owners of the newspaper continued to be F. E. Franks and Thorwald E. Warming. C. L. Franks was the Managing Editor. The Inter-County Press was published until December 30, 1938, when it became the St. Charles Press.