Billiard Chair from "Rockledge"
Designed in 1912 by Chicago architect George Washington Maher for Grace Watkins King and E. L. King of the J. R. Watkins Medical Company, "Rockledge" embodied a simplicity and alliance with Nature.
Tucked below the river cliffs near Winona, this 10,000-square-foot summer residence incorporated a number of decorative motifs in its architectural details and furnishings. One of these design elements was the flat trapezoid seen in the legs of this oak billiard chair. Maher used the same form for the legs of the massive chests of drawers and dining room suite pieces, in the framework for a monumental glass and bronze reception room lamp, and in the wedge-shaped dentils that adorned the fireplaces and terrace.
In the early 1930s, the owners of Rockledge redecorated, seeking "the modern spirit of simplicity and elimination," incorporating animal skins, white marble, chromium, crystal and other "modern" materials. The house was razed in 1987-1988.