World War I Service Questionnaires
What are service questionnaires?
After the end of World War I, the Minnesota War Records Commission compiled information on living veterans of that war. They also gathered information about Army, Navy, and Red Cross nurses, as well as about Hennepin County personnel of non-military war-service organizations.
These "service questionnaires" were four pages long and asked for biographical data and details of a person’s military service. They were occasionally returned with photographs, war letters, or other related material. Some of the individuals who answered questionnaires may also have World War I bonus files.
Gold Star Roll records are similar, but were filled out by relatives on behalf of those who died during World War I service. You can search for these records through the Minnesota People records search system.
How do I order a copy of a service questionnaire?
- Search in Collections Online for the individual’s name and the term "service questionnaire" (include the quotes on the phrase, but not on the name) in the search box, located in the top-center area of the screen.
- Clicking on the record title will take you to more information about the record. This should help if you see multiple records in your results list and are not sure which to order based on just the name and any possible initials. In particular, the "Place" line of the more detailed record will tell you where the payments were mailed.
- Click on the "Buy" button next to the record you want to order to start the online ordering process.
- Prepayment is required and non-refundable
- The $9 fee includes shipping costs
- If paying by check, select the "Offline Payment" option during the online check-out process and make your check payable to the Minnesota Historical Society
- Payment must be received within 30 days of placing the order or the order will be canceled
- MNHS members receive a 10% discount. Not a member? Visit the membership page to learn more and join.
- World War I service questionnaire requests are completed on a first-come-first-served basis
- Turnaround time can be up to 30 business days dating from the receipt of payment
- Copies will be sent via first class US Mail