Historic Fort Snelling is not open for school field trips during the spring of 2022. We look forward to serving you in fall of 2022. Currently booking for summer 2022 field trips.
Sign up for the MNHS education enewsletter to receive information on reopenings, free resources, and more.
Before you come
- Divide your students and adult into the groups designated on your itinerary.
- Give a copy of your schedule to all the teachers coming with your group.
- A ratio of one chaperone for every five students is recommended. One chaperone per five students is admitted free; additional chaperones will be invoiced at the student rate.
- Make name tags for your students.
- Make copies of directions for bus drivers (and chaperones if necessary). Free parking is available on site. Make sure to plan your travel time accordingly to not affect your field trip start time.
- Follow signage to the historic fort for group check-in.
Prepare your chaperones
- Preview: send chaperones the link to the Chaperone page to get them excited for their day.
- Print the Chaperone guide (PDF) for your chaperones to review before coming to Historic Fort Snelling.
- Chaperones are responsible for the conduct of the students they are accompanying.
- Students must stay in their chaperoned groups throughout their visit, including Explore time.
- Be prepared to be outdoors in the elements and wear walking shoes.
Prepare your students
- Discuss Museum Manners.
- Watch the 15 minute orientation film Where the Waters Meet at your school before your visit. A link will be sent to you in your confirmation when you book your field trip.
- Students must stay in their chaperoned groups throughout their entire visit including their self-guided time.
- Learn more about the long history of the area.
Historic Fort Snelling welcomes all visitors and strives to make everyone's visit a positive experience. Please let us know if your group has anyone with special accommodation needs. Call 1-888-387-5008 to discuss your access needs.
- Sign language interpreters are available with two weeks' notice
- Limited number of wheelchairs are available on site for use during your visit
- Private spaces and restrooms are available for diaper changing and tube feeding
- More about Historic Fort Snelling accessibility
The day of your visit
- Give bus drivers directions.
- Give chaperones a list of the students in their group.
When you arrive at the Fort
- Unload buses in the designated location.
- Follow signs for group check-in.
- Give an accurate count of the number of students, teachers, and chaperones at check-in.
- Fort staff will give a brief orientation at the beginning of your field trip.
- Late arrival will impact your group’s schedule and activities for the day.
- Running late? Please call 1-888-387-5008.
200 Tower Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota 55111
Bus directions and parking
- $8 per student, $80 minimum group fee
- Teachers and staff free
- One free chaperone per five students. Additional chaperones invoiced at student rate.
No payment will be accepted the day of the field trip. All schools will be invoiced after their trip. For more information see our Program Policies.
Construction to create a revitalized Historic Fort Snelling is underway. Museum store and amenities are available at the historic fort.
Scholarships, grants, and subsidies
Apply for scholarships, grants and subsidies.