- Accessible parking
- For visitors with mobility disabilities
- For visitors who are deaf or hard of hearing
- For visitors with sensory or communication disabilities
- MNHS statement on accessibility
- Nine disability parking spots are available in main parking lot. The lot is approximately 0.3 miles to the historic fort front gate. There are three more disability spaces within the bus turnaround approximately 200 feet from historic fort front gate.
- Parking and directions
- Service dogs welcome.
- One dedicated family restroom, and four family accessible restrooms in historic fort.
- First aid kits available.
For visitors with mobility disabilities
- Most buildings in historic fort are not wheelchair accessible due to width of doorways, raised thresholds, and lack of raised paths to doorways.
- Wheelchairs are available at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis inside the historic fort. Please inquire at Admissions at the front gate.
- Golf cart is available to transport people with mobility issues from the parking lot to historic fort. (Subject to availability)
- Walking paths are covered by a thin layer of gravel.
- Restrooms have accessible stalls.
For visitors who are deaf or hard of hearing
- ASL interpreters are available for school groups, special programs, and events upon request with minimum one week notice. For general visitor ASL requests please contact us at 612-726-1171 or email@example.com.
For visitors with sensory or communication disabilities
- Sensory warning: Depending on programming there may be musket and cannon firing. Historic Fort Snelling staff can communicate when to expect these sounds.
- Sensory warning: The blacksmith shop is a working shop. Expect loud noises like the banging of hammer to anvil.
MNHS statement on accessibility
Historic Fort Snelling welcomes all visitors. We recognize the diverse needs of our audience and strive to offer accessible programming to enable all visitors to explore this historic site.
However, accessibility for guests with limited mobility can be challenging at our historic sites due to historic and natural features. With advance notice, we will make every effort to respond to access needs.
Our goal is to provide as much information as possible to guests before their visit to any of our sites and museums.
If you have additional questions about accessibility or other needs, please contact Historic Fort Snelling at 612-726-1171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general questions regarding access initiatives at the Minnesota Historical Society, please contact the museum access specialist at 651-259-3480 or email@example.com.