Application requests open on August 24, 2020.
MacMillan Field Trip Grants Program helps offset transportation and lodging costs to schools in Greater Minnesota.
- School must be in Minnesota.
- Schools located 50 miles or more from the Minnesota History Center are eligible for a transportation subsidy.
- Schools located 150 miles or more from the Minnesota History Center are eligible for a transportation subsidy and a minimal meal and/or lodging subsidy.
- Must complete a field trip to one of these MNHS historic sites or museums: Minnesota History Center, Mill City Museum, James J. Hill House, Historic Fort Snelling, Alexander Ramsey House or Oliver Kelley Farm between September 6, 2020 and June 11, 2021.
- Schools do not need to meet any Title I, Federal Free and Reduced Lunch or other economic need requirements.
- If your school is not eligible, please visit our scholarships, grants, and subsidies page to see other financial assistance available.
How It Works
- Funds are limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Schools may apply annually; having received a reward in a previous year does not make a school ineligible.
- MacMillan Field Trip Grants may not be used in combination with other MNHS transportation subsidies on the same field trip date.
Please Gather the Following Before You Apply
- The distance between your school and the Minnesota History Center (345 Kellogg Blvd. West, Saint Paul, MN 55102)
- The number of students who will attend the field trip.
- The name of the Minnesota Historical Society metro historic site or museum you intend to visit.
- The date of your intended field trip.
- Fill out the online application.
- If funds are available, they will be applied to your reserved field trip.
Your Field Trip
Applying for a MacMillan Field Trip Grant does not schedule your field trip. Be sure to book your field trip.
2019-20 School Year MacMillan Field Trip Grant subsidy rates
|Per student transportation subsidy||Per student meal/lodging subsidy||Potential TOTAL per student subsidy|
|ZONE 1: 50 – 99 miles||$6||N/A||$6|
|ZONE 2: 100 – 149 miles||$8||N/A||$8|
|ZONE 3: 150 miles or more||$10||$10 (meal); $30 (lodging)||$50|