Learn About Your Experience: Historic Fort Snelling
New places and stories to explore!
Students will be able to participate in new and engaging activities during their two-and-a-half hour visit in and around Fort Snelling. With an expanded variety of new spaces and old favorites to explore, there is so much to see and do in the Fort! Time includes opportunities to explore on your own which allows more flexibility to make the experience more enjoyable and rewarding.
Field trip overview
Take a peek! There are so many areas to choose from while visiting the Fort. Many of the areas that you have grown to love, but also areas that you have yet had a chance to let your students explore!
Your visit to Historic Fort Snelling will include:
- Fort Snelling staff engage students in memorable stories from different eras using artifacts, photographs, and primary resources during a scheduled one hour staff facilitated tour.
- Students can explore self guided spaces, on their own, like the newly restored prairie landscape and visitors center and old favorites like the historic round tower. Adults will get copies of any exploration materials needed on the day of your visit.
- Staff will capture students' attention in interactive demonstrations throughout your visit where they will learn about women's roles while doing laundry or marching along with soldiers at the Fort.
Summer field trips
Bring your summer group to Historic Fort Snelling to participate in the fort field trip and discover there is more to history than meets the eye.
New this summer
- Explore a newly revitalized site and visitor center
- Experience a one-room schoolhouse lesson and historic games
- Use an activity map to take a Story Adventure into the past and learn the stories of people who have lived in and around the fort
Wednesdays–Fridays • 10 am–4 pm • June 14–September 1, 2023
- Length of program: 2 hours
- $8 per student
- Free bus parking
- Picnic area available
Reservations are required. There is a fee for cancellations and/or rescheduling less than 14 days before the scheduled field trip.
Historic Fort Snelling
200 Tower Avenue
St. Paul, Minnesota 55111
Bus directions and parking
- $8 per student, $80 minimum group fee
- Teachers and staff free
- One free chaperone per five students. Additional chaperones invoiced at student rate.
No payment will be accepted the day of the field trip. All schools will be invoiced after their trip. For more information see our Program Policies.
Cancellations must be received 14 days before your trip. See our Program Policies. Contact us at 1-888-387-5008 if you need to reschedule.
Museum store and amenities are available at the new visitor center.
Scholarships, grants, and subsidies
Apply for scholarships, grants and subsidies.