Recent State Archives Acquisitions: February 2013
Many of the records added this month to the State Archives collection are published records and reports which are valuable for various types of research, and help to succinctly document the policies, major activities and functions of Minnesota state and local government agencies. Most of the records continue, or inter-file with, master sets of published records and reports preserved in the State Archives. Please see the below list for further details.
Useful for family and local history research is a school district clerk’s record book (dated 1882-1887) for Common School District No. 95/1354 (Kalmar Township) in Olmsted County. The record book includes summary information about this, now defunct, school district’s policies, finances, and activities. The rural school district eventually consolidated with the Rochester independent school district in the 1960s. At one point in Minnesota’s history, there were over 7,000 school districts, and now, there are just over 400 school districts in the state. The Collections Department staff assisted in purchasing this unique government record from a book dealer.
Collections Management staff assisted in transferring from the Library collection published records and reports (dated 1919-1941) that inter-file with an existing set of published records and reports of the Railroad and Warehouse Commission. The Commission exercised supervision over railroad and warehouse rates and services in the state of Minnesota, with the first railroad commissioner appointed in 1871. During the 1920s and 1930s the Commission’s regulatory jurisdiction was steadily enlarged to include regulation of street railways, supervision and regulation of common carriers with regular routes, inspections of electric meters, regulation of carriers on irregular routes, and licensing of livestock buyers. In 1967, the Commission was abolished and replaced by the Department of Public Service with all the same powers and functions.
Published records and reports (dated 1910-1994) of the St. Paul Public Schools (Independent School District No. 625) were added to the State Archives collection, and concern the school district as a whole, and individual public schools. Included are curriculum materials, reports and project proposals, and bulletins and newsletters concerning such topics as careers, teacher training, student transportation, demographics, and gender, race and multicultural equity. Also, brochures, plans, newsletters, programs, directories and other published material of several St. Paul public schools.
1. Agriculture Department. Pest reports and bulletins (dated 1940-1959) regarding such topics as European corn borers, forest tent caterpillars, and insect control. Transferred from the Library collection with the assistance of the Collections Management staff. 6 folders.
2. Auditor. Audit and financial reports (dated 2001-2002) for county hospital and nursing homes, hospital districts, housing and redevelopment authorities, municipalities, regional organizations, relief associations, transportation and port authorities, and watershed districts and water management organizations. 2 boxes. .
3. Metropolitan Council. Metrocouncil.org print digest of online news from the Metropolitan Council (dated 2009-2013). 1 folder.
4. Olmsted County. Common School District No. 95/1354 (Kalmar Township). Clerk’s Book (dated 1882- 1887). 1 volume.
5. Public Employees Retirement Association. Newsletters (The PERABenefit, The PERADeferral, The PERAGraph, The PERAGuardian), dated 2008-2013. 4 folders.
6. Railroad and Warehouse Commission. Published records and reports (dated 1919-1941). 4 volumes, 3 folders.
7. Ramsey County. St. Paul Public Schools (Independent School District No. 625). 2 boxes.
Back to Recent Acquisitions.
March 5, 2013