Recent State Archives Acquisitions: January 2013
Many of the government records added this month to the State Archives collection are published records and reports that continue, or inter-file with, master sets preserved in the collection. These records and reports are often summary in nature, or concern specific topics, and are valuable for a variety of research purposes.
This month’s highlights are followed by the complete list of acquisitions.
Of special note is the set of audit reports (dated 1972-2012) of the Legislative Auditor/Financial Audit Division. Financial audit reports are key records for documenting the fiduciary responsibilities of government agencies. With the cooperation of the Collections Management Department, State Archives Department staff compiled a master set of financial audit reports issued by the Legislative Auditor for the past forty years; pre-1972 financial audit reports are cataloged under the state Public Examiner. In 1973 the powers of the Public Examiner relating to the state and its departments, agencies, boards, and commissions were transferred to the Legislative Auditor. Also, program evaluation audit reports (dated 2012) of the Program Evaluation Division, and selected published reports (dated 1980s-1990s) of the Legislative Auditor; these reports continue, or inter-file with, master sets preserved in the State Archives.
One of the strengths of the State Archives collection are the records documenting St. Paul public schools. Virtually every elementary, junior high, and senior high school in St. Paul is documented in the State Archives. A private individual donated a photograph of the Bryant Elementary School Kitchen Kabinet Orchestra (K.K.O), dated ca. 1920s, which depicts the orchestra members (all female) and their “instruments” fashioned from kitchen utensils! Also, selected school newspapers and scrapbook items (banquet, sport and drama programs; song sheets; newsletters), dated 1938-1940, of Wilson High School. Inter-file with a master set of similar records of St. Paul public schools.
1. Corrections Department. Published records and reports (undated and dated 2009-2011) concerning such topics as adult offender supervision, chemical dependency treatment alternatives, performance targets, and other topics. Also, annual reports (dated 2010-2011) of the Board of Pardons. Continue a master set of Corrections Department published records and reports preserved in the State Archives. 3 folders.
2. Crow Wing County, City of Brainerd. City code updates (dated 2012), that continue a master set of City of Brainerd published records and reports preserved in the State Archives. 1 folder.
3. Legislative Auditor. Financial Audit Division. Audit reports (dated 1972-2012). 14 boxes.
4. Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission published records and reports (dated 1954, 1975, 1978), concerning the now demolished Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, and stadium alternatives prior to the construction of the Metrodome in Minneapolis. Inter-file with other published records and reports of the Commission. 2 folders, 1 volume.
5. Ramsey County. Auditor. Abstracts of votes (dated 2010-2012) for primary, general and special elections. The records continue a set dating from 1904 preserved in the State Archives collection. 1 box.
6. Ramsey County, St. Paul school records ( I.SD. No. 625), including a photograph of the Bryant Elementary Kitchen Kabinet Orchestra (K.K.O) dated ca. 1920s. Also, records (dated 1938-1940) of Wilson High School. Inter-file with a master set of similar records of St. Paul public schools. 4 folders.
7. St. Louis County, City of Duluth. City Planning Commission annual reports (dated 1924-1937, 1942, and 1944). Inter-file with, and continue, a master set of City of Duluth published records and reports. 1 volume, 1 folder.
Back to Recent Acquisitions.
February 8, 2013