Download PDF of the Minnesota Historical and Cultural Grants Manual for Fiscal Year 2020-21, Version 6.0.
Grants Manual Sections
General Information is where you find information on the goals of the grant program, where the funding comes from, deadlines, eligibility, the definition of partnerships, grant levels and the review process at each level, review criteria, and grantee's responsibilities.
Eligible projects fall into three project categories: community history projects, historic preservation projects, and structured grants. Keep in mind that these are guidelines, not a catalog of all possible projects. In addition, some projects might appear to fit under more than one category. If your planned project does not appear to fit into one of these categories, or if you are unsure which category should be applied to your project, call 651-259-3497 or e-mail the Grants Office before submitting an application. Final product(s) must be held by a Minnesota-based organization or institution.
Application Instructions and Requirements
The application process is an on-line grants system. Applicants access the system through the grants portal. Here applicants will be able to track where an application is in the review process as well as have access to information about previous grants you have received. The portal allows you to save your work on an application and come back to finish it later. The portal provides access to everything you'll need in administering a grant from the Minnesota Historical Society, from the pre-application stage through reporting on the completion of a project.
Update for the New Biennium of Historical and Cultural Heritage Grants
Version 6.0 Changes
- Removed Structured: MNopedia – now an option through the Research and Writing category
- Note added describing how MNopedia type essay work can continue through the Research and Writing category.
- Added New Structured: Archaeological Collections Assessment
- Two new eligible projects under Collections Care category: Purchase and/or installation of Collections Management Software or Archives Management Software and Purchase and/or installation of Digital Asset Management Software relating to collections Migration of collections data
- New section MN Historical and Cultural Application Advice: Collections Software
- Additional microfilming standards added. Label and Target examples added.
- Added New Structured Grant: Museum Security Survey
- Revised explanations of payments and reporting
- New/revised Scope of Work form
- New term –Construction Documents
- New term – Historical Architect
- New definition of Segmentation
- Added definition for Enduring Value