Archives and Libraries
- EAD: Encoded Archival Description: Version 2002 Official Site (Library of Congress)
- "Introduction to Archival Organization and Description" (J. Paul Getty Trust)
- "Managing Your Government Records: Guidelines for Archives and Agencies" (Minnesota State Archives)
- "Organizing Archival Material" (Archives Association of British Columbia)
- Organizing Congregational Archival Material (Luther Seminary, Saint Paul MN)
- "Standards for Archival Description: A Handbook" (Society of American Archivists)
- Digital Imaging Guidelines for Small Organizations
- Western States Digital Imaging Best Practices
- Scanning Negatives and Slides
- Minnesota Historical Society Tech Talk: "Putting Digital Images Online"
- Web and Social Media
- Minnesota Digital Library
- Guide to Digital Projects (MINITEX/LDS Joint Standards Review Task Force)
- Northeast Document Conservation Center:
- "Handbook for Digital Projects: A Management Tool for Preservation and Access"
- Preservation Leaflets (scroll down to 6: Reformatting)
Photographs and Film
- "The Film Preservation Guide: The Basics for Archives, Libraries and Museums" (National Film Preservation Foundation) - click on "preservation basics" and then "The Film Preservation Guide"
- Minnesota Historical Society Tech Talk: "Care of Photographic Materials"
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets (scroll down to 5: Photographs)
- Minnesota Historical Society's "Long-Range Preservation Plan" (updated 2007)
- Minnesota Museum Property Act:
- Information on the Minnesota Historical Society's Central Registrar webpage
- "Putting the New Minnesota Museum Property Law to Work" (Minnesota Historical Society Tech Talk)
- "MIT Museum Collections Manual"
- National Park Service's "Museum Handbook"
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets (1: Planning and Prioritizing, includes preservation assessment and planning, and collections policies)
- "Standards for Community Museums in Ontario" (Ontario Ministry of Culture)
- "Exhibits and Storage Materials Handbook" (Minnesota Historical Society)
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets (scroll down to 4: Storage and Handling)
- "Getting a Handle on the Museum Environment" (Minnesota Historical Society Tech Talk)
- "Historic Housekeeping Handbook" (Minnesota Historical Society)
- Northeast Document Conservation Center Preservation Leaflets (scroll down to 2: The Environment, and 3: Emergency Management)
- "Financial Management for the Local Historical Society" (Ohio Historical Society's Local History Notebooks)
- "Fund Raising for Beginners" (Ohio Historical Society's Local History Notebooks)
- Alliance for Nonprofit Management, FAQs on fundraising
- "How to Start a Historical Organization in Minnesota" (Minnesota Historical Society)
- Board Cafe is a regular column in the Blue Avocado, an electronic magazine for people who work and volunteer in the non-profit sector; Board Café articles can be read on the Blue Avocado website or you can sign up for a free subscription and receive it via e-mail
- BoardSource, formerly National Center for Nonprofit Boards, "building effective nonprofit boards"
- "Ideas on Membership Development For Local Historical Societies" (Ohio Historical Society's Local History Notebooks)
- "Developing a Staff Training Policy" (Ontario Museum Notes Online #10)
- "Strategic Planning Workbook for Nonprofit Organizations, Revised and Updated" ($34.95 from Fieldstone Alliance, formerly a Amherst H. Wilder Foundation publication)
Security, Health, Safety
- Minnesota Historical Society Tech Talk on Museum Security: "Thinking Ahead about Museum Protection: An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure"
- Museum Security Network
- "Tamper-Resistant Fasteners For Museum Exhibit Cases" (National Park Service Conserve O Gram no. 2/9, July 1995)(PDF)