Northern Lights is the Minnesota studies curriculum used by over 85 percent of Minnesota’s sixth graders.
Colorful primary sources and engaging personal stories from the Minnesota Historical Society's collections bring our state's history to life. Student-friendly sidebars engage students as they develop critical thinking skills.
The Northern Lights curriculum is available for students in two versions: the Interactive eBook, out in 2014 and updated annually, and the 2013 print student edition. All the content from the print student edition is included in the Interactive eBook, which also contains additional content, features, and resources.
Interactive eBook and print version features
- Addresses all sixth grade Minnesota social studies standards
- 20 chapters from pre-contact to today in an engaging narrative style
- Enriched Native American content
- History, civics, economics and geography connections
- Vetted by content experts, historians, and teachers
Additional features in the interactive eBook
The Northern Lights interactive eBook for students includes all the text, images and features of the student print book, plus:
- Diverse professional narration that reads the text to students
- Introductory videos for each chapter plus 11 additional videos throughout
- Additional primary sources, audio clips, interactive maps, and links to related web resources
- Annual updates free-of-charge to existing subscribers
The interactive eBook is accessible via our iPad app and via web browser for PCs, Macs, iPads, ChromeBooks, the Surface Pro, and with limited functionality on other smart devices. Additional detail is available on the “Northern Lights Interactive eBook Tips for Users” web page.
Contact Matt Horstman for a preview login.
Interactive eBook with PDF of annotated teacher’s edition
A teacher license for the interactive eBook includes all the features and resources in the student interactive eBook, plus an embedded PDF of the Northern Lights annotated teacher’s edition for easy access anytime to its additional content and teaching ideas.
Print annotated teacher's edition + workbook (two-book set)
The print Northern Lights annotated teacher’s edition (ATE) and Northern Lights workbook are bundled together as a two-volume set providing teachers with a range of additional resources. Included in the hardcover, spiral-bound ATE is the student print textbook, plus additional content, best-practice teaching tips, and activity ideas. Reinforcing student learning is easy with the worksheets, tests and answer keys found in the soft-cover, blackline master workbook.
- Background historical information for each chapter and extra content tips throughout
- Chapter overviews, objectives, discussion questions, and teaching suggestions
There are five worksheets per chapter on the topics below. Answer keys provided.
- Chapter comprehension
- Minnesota studies skills
- Creative enrichment
- Objective test
- Investigation guide
Digital workbook files
Edit the worksheets found in the Northern Lights Workbook to tailor the activities and questions to your students' needs. Includes original worksheets as Adobe PDF documents and editable Microsoft Word documents, plus answer keys.
One-time payment covers all sixth graders for the duration of the subscription. Annual updates, as needed, are provided free-of-charge. Note the price break for 5-7 year subscriptions ($10 per student per year, down from $15). In addition, for 5-7 year subscriptions only there is the option to split full payment across two fiscal years.
- 1 year: $15 x incoming sixth grade enrollment
- 2 years: $30 x average enrollment
- 3 years: $45 x average enrollment
- 4 years: $60 x average enrollment
- 5 years: $50 x average enrollment
- 6 years: $60 x average enrollment
- 7 years: $70 x average enrollment
- $50 per copy (list price $62.50)
- $20 per copy with 5-7 year Interactive eBook subscriptions, up to average enrollment
Print annotated teacher’s edition + workbook
- $80 ($100 list price)
Interactive eBook license with PDF of annotated teacher’s edition
- 1 year: $25 per teacher
- 2 years: $40 per teacher
- 3 years: $55 per teacher
- 4 years: $70 per teacher
- 5 years: $60 per teacher
- 6 years: $70 per teacher
- 7 years: $80 per teacher
Digital workbook files
- $25 per teacher
Minnesota maps poster set
- $50 per set of 8 maps