We're excited to welcome you to Split Rock Lighthouse! Learn about health and safety protocols and additional information below to help you plan your visit.
Keeping us all safe
Our priority is to maintain a safe environment for visitors, staff, and volunteers. Please read for details about health and safety precautions:
- Face masks are encouraged but not required for all visitors regardless of vaccination status.
- MNHS sites reserve the right to request masking in areas where social distancing is unavailable, in confined spaces, or in areas with limited air circulation.
- We are conducting enhanced cleaning of high-touch surfaces and providing hand-sanitizing stations for visitors.
- Social distancing is encouraged.
- If you are feeling sick, have flu-like symptoms, or have been in contact with someone who has recently had COVID-19, please visit us another time.
- Don't forget your camera and hiking shoes. The historic site and adjacent state park offer spectacular views of the lighthouse and Lake Superior, both from the cliff top and from along the shoreline.
- Weather can be unpredictable on the North Shore, with cooler temperatures even in summer. Prepare for your visit by dressing in layers.
- Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems are prohibited.
- No smoking/vaping, food, or beverages on the historic grounds.
- Service animals are permitted. Pets are not allowed on the historic site.
- A state park vehicle permit is required whenever the historic site visitor center is closed.