About & Contact
National History Day is an interdisciplinary research project for students in grades 6-12. History Day teaches students to:
- Conduct in-depth research
- Use primary and secondary sources
- Read a variety of texts
- Analyze and synthesize information
- Write and present historical content
Students choose a topic that relates to an annual theme, research that topic, and present their research in one of five presentation categories: Research Paper, Exhibit, Documentary, Performance, or Website. Students may then enter their projects into History Day competitions at school, regional, state, and national levels.
For more information or to get involved in History Day, request more information online or contact the History Day staff.
Guidelines and procedures
The National History Day Contest Rule Book guides the classroom and state-wide implementation of the Minnesota History Day program. Minnesota History Day has developed state-specific guidelines and procedures to support the administration of the program.
- Conflict of Interest (PDF)
- Contest Advancement and Results Dispute (PDF)
- Contest Fees and Cancellation (PDF)
- Event Attendance (PDF)
- Judge Expectations and Removal (PDF)
- Photography and Videography (PDF)
- Plagiarism Identification and Investigation (PDF)
- Spectator Expectations and Behavior (PDF)
- "Teachers Rule:" Teacher Discretion in Shaping a Classroom History Day Assignment (PDF)
- Topical Prize Sponsorship and Judging (PDF)
Minnesota History Day sponsors
National History Day in Minnesota is a partnership of the Minnesota Historical Society and the University of Minnesota.
Major funding provided by
The Fred C. and Katherine B. Andersen Foundation, the Ralph and Virginia Kurtzman Fund, the State of Minnesota/Arts and Culture Heritage Funds, the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation, Frank W. Veden Charitable Trust, and the WEM Foundation.
Augsburg University, Bemidji State University, Minneapolis Public Schools, Minnesota State University Mankato, Minnesota State University Moorhead, St. Cloud State University, Winona State University, University of Minnesota Duluth, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, St. Paul Public Schools, and White Bear Lake High School, South Campus.
State office staff
The History Day staff is here to help. Contact us at anytime with any questions!
- Sammi Jo Papas is the co-coordinator of National History Day in Minnesota. Email Sammi Jo or call her at 651-259-3439.
- Sarah Aschbrenner is the co-coordinator of National History Day in Minnesota. Email Sarah or call her at 651-259-3489.
- Javeriah Chughtai. Email Javeriah.
- Bailey Hess. Email Bailey.
- Kyle Imdieke. Email Kyle.
- Rebecca Lofgren. Email Rebecca.
- Natalie Polaschek. Email Natalie.
- Cathy Richter. Email Cathy.