Engage students and offer perspectives about historical people and events.
Newspapers are a treasure trove of factual and cultural information. Headlines tell of momentous events, while story placement demonstrates what was important to the paper's audience. Introduce students to various perspectives from the Vietnam War era.
Cost: $20 Order
- 25 pages from 11 different newspapers
- Discussion questions, context, vocabulary, guiding questions for each source
- Minneapolis Star, August 7, 1964. Page 1.
- Jackson County Pilot, December 29, 1966. Page 1.
- Minneapolis Star, April 28, 1967. Page 1.
- Minnesota Daily, April 28, 1967. Page 1.
- Jackson County Pilot, August 24, 1967. Page 1.
- Mankato Free Press, February 2, 1968. Page 1.
- Anoka County Union, August 30, 1968. Page 1.
- Bemidji Daily Pioneer, October 1, 1968. Page 1.
- St. Cloud Daily Times, December 1, 1969. Page 1.
- St. Cloud Daily Times, December 2, 1969. Page 1.
- Minnesota Daily, December 2, 1969. Page 1.
- Minnesota Daily, December 3, 1969. Page 1.
- St. Cloud Daily Times, December 5, 1969. Page 6.
- Duluth News-Tribune, May 5, 1970. Page 1.
- Minnesota Daily, May 5, 1970. Page 1.
- The Carletonian, May 14, 1970. Page 4 and 5.
- Minneapolis Tribune, February 27, 1971. Page 1.
- Minneapolis Tribune, June 20, 1971. Page 1.
- Bemidji Daily Pioneer, June 28, 1971. Page 2.
- Mankato Free Press, January 24, 1973. Pages 1.
- St. Paul Dispatch, April 21, 1975. Page 1.
- Duluth News-Tribune, April 30, 1975. Page 1.
- Minneapolis Star, June 18, 1980. Pages 1 and 13.
Academic standards alignment
The Newspapers of the Vietnam War Era Primary Source Packet is designed to engage your students and enrich their ability to read and analyze newspapers. Incorporating these newspapers, or adapting the questions and activities for other newspapers, into your teaching will help meet your curricular objectives and academic standards, whether they are content or skills related.
We have aligned this packet with state and national standards and benchmarks for grades 6–12. The links below outline the standards alignment for this packet.
- ArcGIS: Vietnam War Map
- The United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: Maps of North and South Vietnam
- Library of Congress Primary Source Analysis Tool: Newspapers
- Library of Congress Veterans' History Project
- Minnesota Humanities Center Veterans' Voices
- Chronicling America
- Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub